Maazanet Al-Shahem, Located in the north entry of Al-Buzuriyah Souq, approximately in the middle between Medhat Basha Souq and Umayyad Mosque.
1749 AD – 1163 AH
The governor of Damascus, As'ad Pasha al-Azm
It is located in the middle of the old city of Damascus. It was constructed by the governor of Damascus, As’ad Pasha al-Azm, on the site of the Gold House which dates back to the era of Tankiz the deputy of the governor of Damascus. This site is part of the ancient Jupiter Temple's courtyard. On that part of Jupiter Temple, it is believed that Muawiyah house “Al Khadraa Palace” was built in the age of Umayyads.
It expands and consists of three wings:
Al_ Haremlek: The family wing, which was dedicated to the governor’s family. It occupies about two thirds of the palace’s total area. There are two iwans and a private bath of the family. The courtyard contains two fountains “rectangular and circular”. It is a two-story wing.
Al_ Selamlek: The Guest Wing, which is located in the southern part of the palace. It occupies an area of 1000 square meters. It comprises a courtyard with a large rectangular fountain in the middle. There are many rooms and one iwan.
Al_khademlek: It is a private section of the servants and cooks of the palace. It is situated to the north-west of Al_ Haremlek. As'ad Pasha wanted this palace to be astonishing in its perfection. The remarkable simplicity of its exterior facade conceals the luxurious features inside it.