Museum of Medicine and Science and in its modern part, the Department of Antiquities of Damascus
Directorate-General of Antiquities and Museums
519 – 13/7/1948
Hariqa quarter - to the east of Al-Hamidiyah Souq
Nur al-Din Mahmud ibn Zangi
One of the most important ancient buildings in Damascus, and it is one of the three Bimaristans built in it (Al-Daqaqi - Al-Qaymari - Al-Nuri). It was built by King Nur ad-Din Mahmud bin Zangi, and he provided it with a large number of medical books. It could accommodate one thousand three hundred beds, and the doctors were coming to it. It was renovated during the period of King Al Saeed Mohammed Al Dhaheri, and then the government took it to a female school after the government built the al-Ghuraba Hospital,
located opposite the National Museum. Then it became a museum of medicine and science.
It consists of main entrance on the street that leads to the grand rectangular courtyard and its central square basin with bracketed inner corners. It has three small iwans two northern, one southern, and eastern large one. On the sides of these iwans, there are halls which are (the medicine hall, the science hall, the pharmacy hall, the library, the bureau, and the stuffed bird hall which is the only hall taken from modern construction to the museum). The Bimaristan was built in two phases: the first includes the foregoing and the second stage where a modern section was built when the doctor Badr al-Din Judge Baalbek son expanded it with his own space that contains six rooms and a second floor which used as the headquarters of the Department of Ancient Antiquities of Damascus.